Skin Care Terms
Back to 30™ has compiled this glossary of skin care terms to help you understand the treatments that are frequently used throughout our Upstate South Carolina locations, including our offices in Greenville and Boiling Springs. As you become acquainted with these terms and the procedures they describe, please note that there is no guarantee of specific results. Results can vary for each individual.
- Skin-aiding acids that can reduce skin discoloration, improve acne-related issues, and reduce signs of aging.
- Amino acids
- Amino acids make up proteins, which in turn make up the tissues of the body. Used in our Skinny Shots, many of these acids can aid in weight loss, especially when combined with dietary plans.
- We can provide local anesthesia in the form of topical numbing cream approximately 30 minutes before your procedure to help you feel comfortable.
- Anti-oxidant therapy
- Used to fight oxidation, which is a chemical reaction that damages cells.
- Avocado Oil
- Reduces the appearance of age spots, scars, and sun damage.
- Plant-based products used in many of our Back to 30® skin care products.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Botulinum toxin injections are FDA-approved to paralyze certain muscles, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- A nickname used for the increasingly popular use of BOTOX Cosmetic injections for men.
- Chemical Peel
- Chemical peels rejuvenate the face by helping you shed the damaged outermost layers of skin. They range from mild to strong, depending on your needs.
- Assists in the metabolic process by helping you increase your energy levels and convert carbs and fat into energy.
- Clear + Brilliant®
- Clear + Brilliant uses laser technology to reverse signs of aging by triggering your body’s healing processes and encouraging cell production.
- A protein that makes up the framework of healthy skin cells, stores moisture that makes your skin smooth and supple, and contributes to a youthful appearance. We can administer a Collagen Bomb to trigger rapid collagen production.
- A non-surgical alternative to liposuction. During treatment, a device will freeze and kill fat cells, which are then naturally expelled by the body.
- Cucumber Extract
- Calms skin and binds moisture.
- A form of vitamin B12 that helps promote healthy cell function and boost your metabolism.
- During dermaplaning, a special surgical blade is moved over the skin to remove dead skin cells and facial hairs. It can reduce fine lines and wrinkles in as little as 30 minutes.
- DermaSweep is a non-surgical rejuvenation treatment during which a gentle wand and vacuum gently and safely remove old skin, sweep away damaged skin cells, and reduce signs of aging.
- Emblica Fruit Extract
- A natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that inhibits melanin production and helps create consistent skin tone.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- The bioidentical hormones used in hormone replacement therapy are derived from plant sources and have the same structure as those produced in the body. They can restore chemical balance, improving your personal health and wellbeing by reducing hot flashes and boosting your mood, energy, weight loss, muscle function, skin tone, sex drive, and bone health.
- Used to keep moisture locked in the skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid
- This acid is a key ingredient in many of our skin care products. It is capable of binding 1,800 times its weight in water for moisture retention, improved collagen production levels, and boosted skin suppleness.
- Used in Skinny Shots, this sugar prevents fat from gathering in the liver and can also improve focus, regulate your serotonin levels, and relieve anxiety.
- IPL Photorejuvenation
- IPL photorejuvenation uses computer-controlled light therapy to treat sun spots, wrinkles, and other blemishes.
- Our offices use several products by JUVÉDERM including VOLUMA, VOLBELLA, and VOLLURE XC. These dermal fillers are made with hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in the skin and does not cause allergic reactions.
- KYBELLA is an injected treatment used to destroy fat cells in problematic areas including under the chin.
- An FDA-approved topical treatment for patients with insufficient or short lashes. It has been clinically proven to increase the lifespan of hair to help you achieve longer, fuller, and darker lashes.
- Leucine and L-Lysine
- Used in our Skinny Shots, these acids can help build muscle mass and promote liver health.
- Lipotropic Injections
- Also referred to as Skinny Shots, these are the fastest fat-burning injections on the market. They work by catalyzing the breakdown of fat during metabolism.
- Also known as "pregnancy mask," this condition causes dark splotchy spots on face. It can be treated with IPL photorejuvenation and other treatments designed for pregnant women.
- During microblading, a skilled team member will artfully tattoo tiny lines under the eyebrows to help them look fuller.
- Microdermabrasion removes your outermost layers of skin to reveal softer, smoother skin. We offer a conservative form of this exfoliation treatment called DermaSweep®.
- Microneedling can target lines, wrinkles, and scars. Through thousands of microscopic pinpricks, it uses the body's healing abilities to rejuvenate skin with no downtime.
- Methionine is an essential amino acid that assists with fat elimination and increased metabolism and energy. We incorporate this acid in our Skinny Shots. It also helps produce creatine, which aids muscle movement and improves athletic performance.
- Typically used in combination with DermaSweep, NuCell improves dull skin. It also increases growth factors, peptides, ceramides, and antioxidants.
- Parabens, Phthalates, and Sulphates
- Preservatives and agents that are not used in our line of Back to 30 products.
- A compound containing two or more amino acids.
- Polydioxane (PDO)
- A biodegradable polymer used to create the absorbable sutures used for thread lifts.
- PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma)
- Used as an add-on to microneedling treatments, PRP helps build collagen and rejuvenates the skin.
- PRP Facial
- A PRP facial involves taking a small amount of blood from your arm to create platelet-rich plasma, which is injected into the face to rejuvenate the skin without the need for surgery.
- Used in many of our skin care products including Hello Retinol!, retinol is clinically proven to stimulate collagen production and promote healthier skin.
- Shea Butter
- Revitalizes the skin and promotes cell regeneration.
- Skinny Shots
- Skinny shots are one of the fastest-acting fat burning injectable treatments available today, and can be an alternative to weight loss surgery.
- Thread Lift
- A thread lift is a minimally invasive alternative to a facelift which uses synthetic, absorbable sutures to stimulate collagen production and lift your tissue. We use FDA-approved NovaTreads.
- TNS® is a patented blend of growth factors found in SkinMedica products.
- Tripolar RF
- Tripolar RF is a procedure that enhances the definition of facial and body contours using radiofrequency technology to metabolize fat and promote collagen production.
- Ultherapy is a treatment for loose, sagging skin that uses ultrasound to tighten the skin using a handheld ultrasound instrument.
- UltraShape can reduce fat with no downtime through ultrasound technology, which delivers pulses of energy to designate fat cells and transform them into harmless triglycerides.
- VelaShape is a non-surgical body contouring procedure that can reduce the appearance of cellulite in three to six sessions by delivering infrared light, radio frequency waves, and vacuum energy to targeted treatment areas.
- Vitamin E
- Protects against inflammation.
- Vitamin B5
- Restores suppleness and moisture to your skin.
- Vitamin B12
- This vitamin helps promote proper function of your circulatory and nervous systems. B12 injections can boost production of red blood cells and improve your mood, energy, and concentration. The injections remain in your system longer than a daily supplement because the vitamin is water soluble.
- Vitamin C
- Improves hydration and moisture in the skin. Vitamin C also promotes collagen production, expedites healing, reduces skin depigmentation, and protects you from sun damage.
- Similar to BOTOX, Xeomin is a neurotoxin relaxes the muscles responsible for lines and wrinkles. The results generally last three to four months.
Our Team Is Here to Help
Our highly trained and knowledgeable team is available to answer your questions about skin care, skin rejuvenation, and body contouring. To schedule your free consultation, call our office at (864) 372-3003 or send us an online message today.
"Going to Back to 30 is like going to a friend's home. I feel our relationships grow with every visit. I like the fact that Back to 30 is medically based and will even take the time for follow up with a care call. Just the positive people make a difference ."Angel L.H.